The overarching aim for teaching writing is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment. Pupils are taught to acquire a wide range of vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for writing. We develop writing skills so that our pupils have the stamina and ability to write at or above the age expected standard.High quality relevant texts are selected for each writing unit.
Children are given lots of opportunities to develop their creative writing and present it in a variety of ways.
In Writing we aim to ensure that all pupils develop:
- the ability to write fluently and with interesting detail on a number of topics throughout the curriculum.
- a vivid imagination which makes readers engage with and enjoy their writing.
- a highly developed vocabulary and an excellent knowledge of writing techniques to extend details or description.
- well-organised and structured writing, which includes a variety of sentence structures.
- Excellent transcription skills that ensure their writing is well presented and punctuated, spelled correctly and neat.
- a love of writing and an appreciation of its educational, cultural and entertainment values.
Please see documents below for more information.